The Good NewsGod's good news for people can be summed up in five fairly simple points:
- Grace: Relationship with God is a free gift. It is not earned nor deserved. (Romans 6:23b; Ephesians 2:8,9) Why is this important? Because of what the Bible says about man.
- Man: is a sinner and cannot save himself. (Romans 3:23; Romans 5:12; Proverbs 14:12) It is also important because of what the Bible says about God.
- God: is merciful and therefore does not want to punish us, but He is also just and therefore must punish our sin. (Romans 5:8; Romans 6:23a) This leaves us with a problem that God solved through Jesus Christ.
- Christ: is the infinite God-man. He died to pay for our sins and to purchase a place in heaven for us which He offers as a gift. (John 1:1,14; 1 Peter 2:24; 2 Corinthians 5:21) We receive this gift by faith.
- Faith: is not mere intellectual assent or faith for the moment. It is trusting in Jesus Christ alone for our salvation. (James 2:19; Romans 10:9,10; Ephesians 2:8-10)
- Adapted from material provided from Evangelism Explosion International, a ministry whose material we use often.